Friday, July 24, 2009

Week Two Science Methods Thoughts

This week in science methods class we talked about the culture of science. We learned that scientists and science teachers have their own way of thinking and acting that seems like a foreign culture of sorts to students and other people we come in contact with. While I partly considered this concept in other classes, such as our course on content-area literacy, thinking about science as so conceptually different to students that they might see it as another culture, is important to realize. In understanding this concept I hope to make myself more actively aware of my interactions with students so that they can truly understand topics and ideas I take for granted.

2 comments:

  1. Catherine, I was also mesmerized by this idea of science as a separate culture. It would seem (urban myth?)that young adults today are more accepting (less suspicious)of diverse cultures than my generation. If that is so, will the science culture be an easier fit or transition for them to make? Other than curiosity, why does someone make the effort to penetrate a second culture? I think it is because the second culture so permeates your real life activities that you can't ignore it. If that is true I wonder whether the science culture (out of school) is really permeating the average citizen's real life activities. Thanks for the topic. Greg Staley

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I think is interesting is that even as a member of the science community I feel like I am in a different culture whenever I have gone to a conference and watched presentations talking about science aspects that I had no concept of. There are so many realms of science that it can be difficult to simply move between them! There is power in knowing that. There is also power in introducing science as this culture, one that is constantly changing and evolving. Keeping an open mind can also help students in becoming a part of this "science culture."

    ReplyDelete