Monday, August 10, 2009

SCIENCE THOUGHTS

What I recently experienced that was unfamiliar or puzzling or inspiring:

I REALLY enjoyed the Spanish physics lesson we participated in this week. The prospect of working with a non English speaker presents a huge challenge for both students and the teacher. Having had some Spanish in middles school, I found myself surprised at what I could understand in the lesson. I was fascinated, however, by the fact that I really struggled recalling any terms to respond. When I went to speak I came up with German, the language I took during high school and part of college. Because I was so fascinated by this phenomenon going on in my head I was really into the activity and eager to learn about the experiences of my peers. However, I also wondered what I would have done without any prior exposure to Spanish. If this was the case, as it will surely be for some students I might have in my classroom, I would have been truly lost and likely would have tuned out after awhile. This activity reminded me of how I feel when I visit my boyfriend’s family’s house. His family often speak Bengali to each other and this is a language I have no prior background knowledge of. Although I try to listen and make out words I hear in the hopes of learning something, my efforts are futile. It is this experience that I will keep in my head when thinking about future students to try to empathize with them and ensure they don’t feel lost (or at least make this process easier) in my classroom. A challenging prospect to say the least!


What I thought I knew or believed about teaching and learning about science:

We have talked a lot about differentiation in previous classes. I had a hard time understanding how this would work in process. I really like the TESA explanation of how to work with students. This more closely aligns with my idea of how a classroom should be run. I like the idea of challenging all students and treating them as equal in the sense that they really do want to learn and I should expect great things from them when they are properly supported in my classroom.




How I reconsider the importance of recognizing my background and beliefs:


From the Spanish physics lesson I have learned that one’s science background doesn’t matter when the barrier of language is introduced. I will with my students to address language difficulties in the classroom now that I have had a glimpse into the world of an English language learner.

7 comments:

  1. I was having the same issue with my portuguese language background popping in my head everytime I was trying to speak to the teacher! I know portuguese is much similar to spanish than german, but I knew it wasnt exactly the same so I paused and second guessed myself. Like Garrett said in class, I was so tired after the first phase that I really just wanted to cheat and speak english! But I didn't!! I konw I will have much more empathy towards all ell students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I never had any Spanish classes, I took French in high school and bit in college. Since some words and phrases in Spanish are similar to French, I was able to pick out a few ideas. I, too, found myself trying to communicate in French to the teacher. I think it is interesting how we refer to certain schemas when in foreign situations in an effort to try to communicate.

    Thanks, Nicole Shook
    I also have been struggling with the idea of differentiation. While all teachers make a commitment to do the most they can to help all the students in their classroom, I think it is difficult to hide differentiation from students and therefore can single students out or make students feel bad about themselves. I think it takes a very open classroom atmosphere to successfully employ differentiation and perhaps some expert teachers achieve this, but I think it will be very difficult for me as a student teacher next semester. I agree with you Catherine, that all students should be held to high expectations and challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the previous post.... I tried to type my name at the end of my post, but the box must have been scrolled up..... oooppss....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Catherine, I agree. This was a very provocative experience. Most of our classmates have used strong feeling words to describe their reactions. Learning is such an embedded set of behaviors for us. Everyone has a role and there are very implicit expectations, it seems. If the roles or the plots or the modes of communication are disrupted, students have an upsetting experience, naturally. So here is a thought experiment. What would happen if no one was allowed to speak at all? in any language? Each student was simply presented with the ramp, car, blocks, graph paper and a stopwatch. Would students be curious enough to begin their own experiments? If so, what would they (the experiments) look like? Would this be any less frustrating? Will students learn (in any direction) on their own or will some refuse to learn (turn off, tune out) if they are not led? Thanks, Greg Staley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also having a tough time with differentiation. I know it needs to be done and I understand its benefits, but how will this look in practice and how much control will I have over it. I have a feeling my differentiation stuggles will in part be answered by student teaching, but also bring up a whole bunch of other problems and things to consider such as does a student need extra time on the test when he/she is the first person to finish the test all the time? I think the best we can hope for and do as teachers is try to differentiate as much as possible, but know that we wont be getting all of our students at all times, the point is that we are making the attempting and catching at least part, if not most of our students and that is what matters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the topic of differentiation is a difficult one but just by experiencing the spanish physics lesson, I think it is easy to understand why it is needed. In many of our classes we are looking at examples of SERIOUS differentiation which may not always be necessary. Sometimes it is the simple things you do to help a student interact with the content that open the door! I think the key is to recognize that not everyone will learn or function the same way and that, while I agree we should not lower our standards and expectations, we can make slight alterations here and there to cater to what students really need. How would we have gotten through our physics lesson if someone didn't??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it funny how our brains decided "oh someone is speaking in another language, let me try in reply in any and all foreign languages I know"? Proust may have certainly given us perspective there. I liked your connection to your boyfriend and his family. I feel like the more experiences a teacher can have with trying to decode language and read people, the more she can understand how to help a student who is dealing with the same problem. A lot goes to say for walking a mile in another person's shoes, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete