Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Final Thoughts!

I was amazed by the debate on how to teach Chemistry! I am glad that there has been a change because I think I would have enjoyed Chemistry a lot more in high school had it been organized in this new way where things are less abstract. A lot of times in science it seems teachers feel they have to "hide" the real way scientists think about a subject in order for students to understand. However, the reality is that students can handle the truth they just might not need it in as much depth. I hope this new way of teaching chemistry is brought to more subjects. I really like the idea of looking to other countries and how they teach science as a way to improve our science teaching and I will definitely look for the videos from other countries for inspiration. While I definitely believe that the culture of a nation and how they treat various subjects as important/not important can make a big difference in student interest in a topic (I witnessed this first hand during a semster abroad in highschool where students in Germany were VERY excited about chemistry class), I do think methods play a critical role as well. As a teacher I hope to be open to new ideas throughout my career.

What I thought I knew or believed about teaching and learning about science:


How I reconsider the importance of recognizing my background and beliefs:

No comments:

Post a Comment