Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Week 5 Thoughts

What I recently experienced that was unfamiliar or puzzling or inspiring:

I really loved the Taylor Mali poem, Miracle Worker, that we read at the end of the class. I watched him recite this poem on YouTube after and he is always very inspiring. His notion of teaching children the "big picture" is something I hope to do in my own class.


What I thought I knew or believed about teaching and learning about science:

I really enjoyed the book I read for class, The Canon. This book inspired me to teach science as the content is practiced itself to help reach students. Too often science is taught as a list of facts and vocabulary and this only serves to turn students off.

How I reconsider the importance of recognizing my background and beliefs:

In completing the Nature of Science assignment, I will remember to teach these aspects of the content to my students. Understanding that the NOS elements are part of my background and not necessarily shared by my students, I want to share these facets of biology with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment